Thursday, April 24, 2008

Appointment problem

I have faced all the trouble I can in getting an appointment(in my convenient time) in Bangalore corporate hospitals. I have had enough of it till now. I am exhausted.

The very purpose of the existence of these corporate hospitals is to provide world class facilities to the patients and be patient friendly.

When I first knew I am expecting, me and S wanted to visit the best of the hospitals for our baby’s sake. We freezed upon Wockhard hospital as that being the best and closest hospital to my house. We actually were thinking about a long term relationship with it. I mean I wanted to deliver my baby there itself. We, at that time, did not know the troubles that awaited us there.

I being working women never managed to come out of office before 5pm. So I wanted an appointment sometime after 6pm. Another constraint I had was that I wanted to meet only one doctor for every visit.
The constraints they had from their side was that the doctor will be there only 3 days a week and that too from 4 -6pm. Weekends, when it is the most convenient for working women, are a holiday to all the doctors and staff. They do not care even if its an emergency. And one more drawback is that your doctor will not be seeing you in your every visit. There will be few subordinates to her, fresh out of college house surgeon students, who see you and decide if you can see the doctor or not(in which case you will end up not seeing your doctor most of the times).

I am ill for the past 5 days and desperately in need of a doctor. I did not want to turn to any corporate hospitals this time. One of my friend suggested me that I go to Gunasheela hospital which is a very famous maternity hospital here. When I called up to take the appointment, the receptionist told me that there are no slots vacant today and the nearest possible slot is JUST 1 WEEK away from now. This is in spite of my hinting her that I am not well and is expecting. What are these hospitals for? What is their motto? Do they ever think about the very purpose of their existence? Do they care about the patients? What would they do if there is an emergency case? All these questions were flooding my mind to which I guess there is none to answer.

I finally decided to go to a small clinic where doctor is available everyday. Hope this experience turns out to be good. More on this in my next post.

No comments: